In this issue:
- Black History Night at PBES This Thursday, February 29, 7-8 pm
- Reminder: Early Release THIS FRIDAY, March 1st
- TPES Grounds Clean Up to Prepare for Nature Walk: Sunday, March 3rd, 1-4 pm
- The 2024 TPES Read-a-thon is here!
- Next Joint-PTA Meeting: Tuesday, March 5, 7-8 pm
- STEM Night @ TPES: Thursday, March 7, 7-8 pm
- Takoma Park Children’s Business Fair Applications Open March 1-15
- Cheer on D.C. United and Support TPES PTA: April 27, 7:30pm
- Volunteers forFirst Grade Media Class Needed
- 10. Donate Cardboard Tubes
- Cleaning Supply Donations Needed for PreK
- Seeking Volunteers to Join Teacher Appreciation Committee
- Yearbook Ordering is Now Open
- Gifted and Talented Screening and Parent Input Form for Second Graders
- Upcoming TPES Events
1. Black History Night at PBES This Thursday, February 29, 7-8 pm
Please join us at Piney Branch Elementary School for a dynamic Black History Night Program on Thursday, February 29, from 7 to 8 pm, proudly sponsored by the TPES and PBES PTAs. Enjoy live performances by Blair HS Hip Hop Dance Troupe and Keur Khaleyi Dance Company, showcasing the vibrancy of African culture through dance. Engage in an art activity led by Baltimore-based artist Bakari Jones, exploring art and social justice with a focus on joy. Conclude the night with a lively dance party, led by our very own TPES NAACP Parent Representative, celebrating diversity and community spirit. Children and caregivers are warmly welcome to join this inclusive evening. Light refreshments will be served. See attached flyer for more details. We hope to see you there!
We are also seeking volunteer support at the Black History Night event – we need support with set up, break down, refreshments, and support of the art activity. If you are willing and able, please see the Sign Up Genius for the event here.
2. Reminder: Early Release THIS FRIDAY, March 1st
A friendly reminder that TPES will be dismissed at 1:20pm this Friday for Early Release.
3. TPES Grounds Clean Up to Prepare for Nature Walk: Sunday, March 3rd, 1-4 pm
TPES is working with the Takoma Park Community Food Forest Collective to bring a Nature Walk and Mini-Food Forest to our school. This month, the Community Food Forest Collective and MCPS are planting 16 new native trees as part of the Nature Walk.
Join the Collective and the TPES PTA as we prepare the grounds for the new trees by weeding, cutting back invasives and picking up litter! This is a great opportunity for TPES kids and families to take care of our school and be part of this exciting project.
WHEN: Sunday, March 3rd from 1pm to 4pm. Come for as long or as little as you can.
WHERE: Meet on the path behind the playground (opposite from the parking lot). This is the site of our TPES’ future Nature Walk!
WHAT: Help weed, cut back invasives, and pick up litter.
WHO: TPES kids, families, siblings, community members. Anyone who wants to help grow a Nature Walk at TPES.
Questions: Email Erin Mohan at email@example.com
4. The 2024 TPES Read-a-thon is here!
Please continue to read and record your minutes. Reading logs for week 2 are due on Friday. Find more information on the Readathon (including extra reading logs) here.
5. Next Joint-PTA Meeting: Tuesday, March 5, 7-8 pm
Please join us for our next joint-PTA meeting between TPES and PBES PTAs. Ms. Sue Anderson, TPES Library Media Specialist, will discuss keeping children safe online, including built-in safeguards on MCPS-issued Chromebooks.
6. STEM Night @ TPES: Thursday, March 7, 7-8 pm
Please save the date for this community-favorite event at TPES! More information will be coming but expect fun, hands-on activities throughout the school for this special evening!
7. Takoma Park Children’s Business Fair Applications Open March 1-15
Takoma Park Children’s Business Fair is a one-day marketplace that allows children to develop a brand, create a product or service, build a marketing strategy, then showcase to the community.
This event is hosted by local parents, the majority of funding is sponsored by Takoma Park business owners, and the generous support of our community volunteers. We all believe that principled entrepreneurs are heroes and role models for the next generation.
WHO: Children Age 6-14
How many booths / children will be participating this year: 50 booths and up to 150 children!
WHEN: Saturday May 4th between 10am – 2pm (Rain date: May 11th)
WHERE: Laurel Ave, Takoma Park, MD
Applications will be accepted online from 3/1 through 3/15.
8. Cheer on D.C. United and Support TPES PTA: April 27, 7:30pm
Come cheer on D.C. United on MCPS Night as they take on the Seattle Sounders FC on Saturday, April 27 at 7:30pm. Takoma Park Elementary School will have its own section. A portion of the ticket sales go to support the TPES PTA so we can continue to offer support to the school. Tickets for the TPES section can be purchased here: https://fevo-enterprise.com/Takomapark5 Go D.C. United and TPES Dolphins!
9. Volunteers for First Grade Media Class Needed
First graders are making science journals in the library media class. Students will use them in quarter 4 science lessons. We would appreciate help supporting students with handing out supplies, collating the pages and simple sewing. Please check this schedule at and email Ms. Anderson (Susan_g_anderson@mcpsmd.org) if you can help.
10. Donate Cardboard Tubes
Send or bring in your cardboard tubes: toilet paper, paper towel, wrapping paper, etc…) for our maker room! Collection box is in the atrium. Thank you!
11. Cleaning Supply Donations Needed for PreK
Our Prekindergarten classes are in need of cleaning supplies. In particular, classrooms need Clorox wipes, Lysol wipes and Spic and Span spray. Donations can be dropped off in the office. Please let the office staff know that your donation is for PreK. Many thanks in advance.
12. Seeking Volunteers to Join Teacher Appreciation Committee
Our PTA is in need of a co-chair and/or volunteers to help plan and implement Teacher Appreciation Week which will be the first full week of May (May 6 -10). Detailed notes from last year’s committee are available so you don’t need to start from scratch! Thanks to parent, Betsy Garcete, for chairing this committee this year, but she can’t plan Teacher Appreciation Week on her own! Please reach out to Betsy with interest and questions! firstname.lastname@example.org
13. Yearbook Ordering is Now Open
If you’d like to order a year book for your child, please use this link. Yearbooks cost $22 and will be distributed at the end of the school year.
14. Gifted and Talented Screening and Parent Input Form for Second Graders
Second Grade Families: Remember to fill out the Parent Input Form for the gifted and talented screening process by Thursday, February 29!
- Instructions in English: https://bit.ly/49p76Fe
- Instrucciones en español: https://bit.ly/48dEcar
- መመሪያዎች በአማርኛ: Amharic: https://bit.ly/3urQkwt
15. Upcoming TPES Events
February 19-March 15: TPES Read-a-thon
February 29: TPES/PBES Black History Night Celebration @ PBES 7-8pm
February 29: Deadline for 2nd grade Families to Submit G/T Parent Input Form
March 1: Early Release
March 5: PTA Meeting, 7-8pm
March 7: STEM Night @ TPES, 7-8pm