Takoma Park Elementary School (TPES)
Wednesday, July 15, 2020
We wrapped up 2019-2020 with a discussion of the summer budget, and selected our PTA leaders for next year. Please connect with us to lend your time to health & wellness, fundraising, teacher appreciation. While we anticipate an unconventional school year ahead, your involvement and support continues to be important for our childrens’ success!
Future PTA Meetings
All future PTA meetings will be held virtually until further notice. Once the school year begins, we will meet the first Tuesday of each month via Zoom. Please find our Zoom login info below.
7:00 Welcome / Events and Announcements
NOW is the time to enroll your rising Kindergartener for the 2020-2021 school year!
Here are 3 options for registering your child:
- ONLINE — Follow this link: https://bit.ly/MCPS_Regustration_Survey
- OVER THE PHONE. – Call 240-740-5999 to register
- BY MAIL– Call 240-740-5999 to request forms to be mailed to your home.
¿Tiene un niño que tiene 5 años y que estará en el jardín de infantes el próximo año? ¿O tiene un amigo o vecino cuyo hijo está en edad escolar y asistirá al jardín de infantes en el otoño?
AHORA es el momento de inscribirse para el año escolar 2020-2021. Aquí hay 3 opciones para registrar a su hijo:
- EN LÍNEA: siga este enlace: https://bit.ly/MCPS_Regustration_Survey
- SOBRE EL TELEFONO. – Llame al 240-740-5999 para registrarse
- POR CORREO: llame al 240-740-5999
7:05 Treasurer’s Report / Summer Budget/ School Year Budget
Kelley Skelton, Treasurer
- Need to add 2 items to our budget from last year. Also received a $2000 grant from Dollar General (thanks Tracee Matthias) that was used to support kids while at home during this pandemic. Motion to add 2 items to budget was approved unanimously.
- The only item from last year that we didn’t do in full was Readathon.
- Fundraising for food support with the Middle School cluster (TPMS and its 3 feeder elementary schools) has been going really well (raised $103k so far). All funds run through TPES. Expenses so far are under School Programs Expenses item and have been $89k so far.
- We had a surplus budget year last year of $18,000.
- No comments on budget report from last year.
- Next year taking a very conservative approach to budget given the uncertainty around what will happen. In-person fundraisers may not happen. We are projecting a much lower income level this year but are not decreasing projected expenditures. We will utilize the surplus from prior years to make up this difference.
- Question was asked if the surplus was including food support funds. There are restricted surplus funds for the food support program but we also have surplus funds to draw upon that are not part of the food support effort.
- Staff support includes classroom setup funds for teachers, as well as equity and inclusion activities, staff appreciation, and playground supplies (in case we come back). We did take out a few items.
- Motion to adopt the 2020-21 budget was approved unanimously.
7:15 Supply Kits
Sasha Johnson, Becca Albertus
Deadline to order is 8/1. Link: https://www.educationalproducts.com/ShopPacks
School Code: TAK008 (3 letters/3 numbers)
- We work with an outside company that packages school supplies that are needed by grade. This year, since we don’t know if we will be at school, supplies will be delivered directly to homes.
- PTA does earn a small profit from the kits.
- Cost for supplies is $26 for K, $29 for 1st and $45 for 2nd. Cost is based on the supplies on the list provided by the school. There is a shipping fee.
- Supplies will be delivered to your home by Aug. 22, order by Aug 1.
- There is an option to buy kits for students in need. Those are typically given to Mr. Althofer to distribute. If you order one to be delivered to your house, you can contact Becca (firstname.lastname@example.org) for help getting it to the school.
7:20 Committee Recruitment
Committee Chairs – please contact chairs if you would like to participate in these committees in any way.
Health & Wellness – Amanda Berhaupt-Glickstein: email@example.com
- The H&W Committee is responsible for things like the yoga club, and purchasing of sensory equipment for teachers and hallways. Would like to get more involved with gardening next year.
Cultural Arts – Malawi Welles: firstname.lastname@example.org
Staff Appreciation – Allison Belemvire: email@example.com
Fundraising- Kelly Young: firstname.lastname@example.org
Equity – Chai Shenoy: email@example.com
After School Clubs – Virginia Davis: firstname.lastname@example.org
7:25 2020-2021 Elections
Executive Committee Proposed Slate:
President – Meghan McDonald
Executive VP – Caleb Gibson
Treasurer – Kelley Skelton
Co – VP Communications – Lauren Greenberg & Chris Campbell
VP Membership – Samer Sadek
VP Fundraising – Kelly Young
VP Equity – Chai Shenoy
Membership Secretary- Becca Jones-Albertus
Executive Secretary – Allison Belemvire
MCCPTA Delegate – Joyce McDonough
- No other nominees offered.
- Motion to adopt the 2020-2021 executive committee slate was unanimously approved.
PTA Meetings Dates 2020-2021
August 4 / September 1 / October 6 / November 3 / December 1 /January 5 / February 2 / March 2 / April 6 /May 4 / June 1
Meeting ID: 827 5571 6748
Dial by your location
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown) +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York) +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Spanish Interpretation: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85452610722
Meeting ID: 854 5261 0722 Dial:301-715-8592 Enter ID: 854 526 10722# US